Quality at Hunterdon Medical Center
Awards And Recognition
Hunterdon Medical Center has received accreditation and national recognition that verifies our position as a leading provider of quality health care.
The administration and staff of Hunterdon Medical Center is extremely proud of the many awards the community hospital has earned. Each one is recognition that
Hunterdon Medical Center ranks within the top 10% of national and New Jersey hospitals in many performance indicators for quality healthcare.
Hunterdon Medical Center has achieved:
- US News Best Hospitals
- Magnet Designation
- 100 Most Wired Hospitals
- New Jersey Top Doctors
- NICHE Designation
- Accreditation by the Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
- Website Transparency Excellence Award with Honors
- Women's Choice Award
The Magnet Recognition Program® recognizes healthcare organizations that provide nursing excellence. Recognizing quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in professional nursing practice, the Magnet Recognition Program® provides consumers with the ultimate benchmark to measure the quality of care that they can expect to receive. The program is administered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Being a MagnetTM organization helps distinguish Hunterdon Medical Center as an organization marked by quality inpatient care.
100 Most Wired Hospitals
Hunterdon Medical Center was recently named by Hospitals and Health Networks magazine as one of the "100 Most Wired Hospitals and Health Systems" in America. Being a “Most Wired” hospital confirms that an organization uses information technology to benefit its quality, customer service, public health and safety, business processes and workforce. Because our medical records are linked electronically, patients can be confident that, with consent, any physician who needs to access patient records can do so throughout the Hunterdon Healthcare System.
New Jersey Top Doctors
Hunterdon Medical Center attracts some of the best doctors with training at the nation’s finest institutions and healthcare organizations. New Jersey Monthly, Inside Jersey and NJ Savvy magazines have recognized our "top docs" year after year.
Nurses Improving Care to Health System Elders (NICHE) is a national geriatric nursing program. The program’s vision is for all patients 65 and over to be given sensitive and exemplary care. The mission of NICHE is to raise awareness of principles and tools that can achieve patient-centered care for older adults.
Accreditation by the Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (TJC)
The Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations sets the standards by which health care quality is measured in America and around the world. It is an independent, not-for-profit organization that accredits and certifies over 17,000 health care organizations and programs. To maintain and earn accreditation, organizations must have an extensive on-site review by a team of TJC health care professionals, at least once every three years.
Hunterdon receives Website Transparency Excellence Award with Honors
February 11, 2013 – Washington, DC - URAC announced today the recipients of the 2012 Acknowledgement of Excellence in Hospital Website Transparency, presented in conjunction with The Leapfrog Group. The Acknowledgement comes as part of an overall Excellence in Hospital Website Transparency Awards Program, which identifies outstanding hospital websites promoting transparency of safety and quality measures in a manner that is useful and user-friendly for consumers. All hospitals who publically report their Leapfrog Hospital Survey results were eligible.
“These awards are a unique celebration of hospitals that show initiative in protecting consumers through transparency and quality reporting. It is encouraging to see so many hospitals that have implemented leading initiatives in an effort to make a difference in the lives of the consumers they serve,” said John D. Jones, URAC Chairman of the Board.
The Acknowledgement of Excellence in Hospital Website Transparency is an evaluation of a hospital’s overall website transparency including elements related to design, credibility, literacy and connectivity. This Acknowledgement is based on a set of objective criteria established in accordance with the National Quality Forum’s guidelines for consumer-focused, Internet-based public reporting of health performance data as well as the Model Public Report Elements prepared for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and other research-based criteria. All hospitals applying and qualifying for the Acknowledgement were eligible to apply for the Best Practices in Hospital Website Transparency Award. Winners of this award will be announced at a later date.
Seven hospitals received the 2012 Acknowledgement of Excellence in Hospital Website Transparency, with two of those hospitals also receiving a Distinction with Honors for their outstanding work in hospital website transparency:
- Adventist Medical Center
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- Emerson Hospital
- Hunterdon Medical Center (distinction with honors)
- Mercy Regional Medical Center
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital (distinction with honors)
- Southern Ohio Medical Center
Hospitals receiving this Acknowledgement will be identifiable by the award seal on the hospital website. More information about the awards program can be found at
Additional Awards and Recognitions
- Awarded magnet designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Listed as a Top Hospital in Inside New Jersey Magazine. Hunterdon Medical Center was also recognized for the treatment of: breast cancer, prostate cancer, hip and knee repair, heart failure, stroke and neurological disorders.
- Hunterdon Medical Center designated a Primary Stroke Center.
- Latino Outreach Program recognized at the 89th Annual Meeting of the New Jersey Hospital Association for Hunterdon Healthcare’s Latino Outreach Initiative
- Received national recognition of the Antibiotic Stewardship Program identified by the American Hospital Association as Best Practice.
- Named one of the “100 Most Wired” Hospitals by Hospitals and Health Networks magazine.
- National accreditation of the post graduate yearly Pharmacy Residency Program
- Hunterdon Medical Center is one of twelve hospitals participating in the Physician Hospital Collaboration Demonstration, a Medicare project that will evaluate gainsharing as an innovative method that aims to reduce healthcare costs while improving quality care.
- Ranked in top 1% for patient satisfaction among hospitals in New Jersey
- Hunterdon Regional Breast Care Program became accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers.
- Hunterdon Medical Center’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program was awarded Program certification by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.
- Cardiac Testing Department received accreditation from the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories.
- The Hunterdon County Medication Access Program received the 2010 Health Research and Educational Trust Community Outreach Award for Improving Access and Quality of Care.
- Hunterdon Wound Healing Center was awarded the New Center Outcomes Award by National Healing Corporation.
- Hunterdon Medical Center was awarded the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection 2010 Recycling Award. In 2010, the hospital recycled 298.71 tons, which equates to 3,356.93 lbs. per patient bed.
- Door to balloon time under 60 minutes.
- Accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer-Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center.
- Accredited by the Medical Society of New Jersey as an Intrastate Provider of Continuing Medical Education for Physicians.
- Accredited by The College of American Pathologists.
- Certification by the American Heart Association.
- Certificate of recognition from the American Diabetes Association.
- Fox Chase Cancer Center Partner.
- Platinum designation as New Jersey Smart Workplaces.
- The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) has granted Patient Centered Medical Home certification at the highest level to many Hunterdon Healthcare System practices.
- Accredited by the American Society of Health System Pharmacists.